Environmental, Social and Governance
As part of Artis’s vision, to build a best-in-class asset management and investment platform focused on growing net asset value per unit and distributions for investors through value investing in real estate, the REIT is committed to ensuring that excellence in ESG practices is an integral part of its business model and is a core component of its corporate culture.
Artis’s Board of Trustees is responsible for the stewardship of Artis and for overseeing the conduct of business of Artis and the activities of management. The Governance, Nominating and Compensation Committee is responsible for providing leadership in shaping the governance policies and practices of the REIT, including the environmental and social governance of Artis.
Artis is committed to conducting its business in a sustainable manner, with a focus on continuous and measurable improvement and transparency in all areas of its environmental, social and governance performance. Some of Artis’s ESG priorities for the future include:
- Improving operating efficiencies by establishing sustainability targets with respect to achieving reductions in carbon pollution, energy consumption, water consumption and waste;
- Forming a Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Committee as well as a Health and Safety Committee;
- Continuing to participate in GRESB, with a focus on continuously improving Artis’s rating;
- Targeting environmental certification wherever possible and prioritize sustainable design and components on all new ground-up development projects; and
- Continuing to report in alignment with Global Reporting Initiative (GRI), Sustainable Accounting Standards Board (SASB), Task Force on Climate-Related Financial Disclosures (TCFD), and the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (UN SDGs).